Monday, May 19, 2014

Back In The (Crossfit) Box (with a big ass grin)

Katie & I at Crossfit Cherry Creek

So...I got to do a drop-in at a new Crossfit box! Actually, I've wanted to try out Crossfit Cherry Creek for a few weeks now but it still took some convincing to get myself to walk through the doors. Admittedly, I was a little nervous about going somewhere new to work out, that's totally normal right? Luckily, my friend Katie joined me, so some of my nerves were calmed by her presence, thanks Katie!

Coach/owner at Crossfit Cherry Creek
Meet Ryan, one of the Crossfit coaches! Ryan is the reason this virgin rope climber (me!) climbed the rope like I stole it! Honestly, rope climbs are so badass that I didn't think I was even worthy of attempting an ascent. So, I'm so thrilled I could climb up there even if it hurt my hands like a motha. On a side note, someone actually said I was 'a natural' when I reached the top of the rope ((sigh...))) Oh man, I really wish I had a rope hanging from my living room ceiling right about now, it is so much fun!

During our skills portion of the workout, Ryan showed us how to master the pull up, do two different foot holds with the rope and do box jump overs. Box jump overs are scary as all hell! There's a lot riding on you making that jump; if you miss it you risk an gnarly face-plant on the other side of the box. I did about 10 of these and lived to tell the tale, but decided doing these in a workout have the potential for one frightened Steph.

How-To do Box Jump Overs:


The WOD at Crossfit Cherry Creek
3 Rounds:
15 Thrusters #65
10 Burpee Box Jumps
Run 400 Meters
TIME: 11:02

The evil thrusters were quad-killers but I did them all unbroken, and pushed myself on the running, which is highly unusual. Maybe I was just so elated to be working out with badass crossfitters that it gave me super strength? It felt great to be back in Crossfit, and I will be going back for more drop ins. Can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment