Monday, April 13, 2015

Back Pain After Deadlifting, Yep I'm There!

So, I coached 3 Crossfit classes back to back teaching deadlifts. And it was after I had done multiple deadlifts that morning at 70% of my one-rep max. That was 175# for all you curious souls. And now I am walking around like an old man, sitting on the toilet in slow-motion, groaning while driving with the lumbar support on in my car. What the hell kind of damage did I do to my low back?  If I am this sore (in a bad way) then what are my athletes feeling like? Jesus. Let's review. 



Deadlifting weaknesses can manifest in many ways. For me, I think my form is decent, at least it feels that way when the load is relatively light. Once I go heavy, my form errors tend to show themselves like fireflies in Texas. I was told by a deadlifting master (my term) I have gym butt when doing deadlifts. This means that I hike up my butt too soon on the lift and thus I load my low back up with the weight on the barbell. BAM. That's why my low back is screaming at me right now. In the video I posted above, you can (CRYSTAL) CLEARLY see where my butt PPP error happened, my back hurts just watching. 

None the less, I may not have a perfect deadlift, but I am still eager to share the info that I know with you so you can sit on the toilet with ease post deadlift days. Here's the tips I have for all you heavy lifting beasts out there.

                         World Record Deadlift,  1018.5pounds, I wonder if his back hurt the next day

Deadlift Do's: 

  1. Before you reach down to set up for the bar, get yourself positioned as though you are going to take a punch to the gut. You want your core tight first, then reach down for the bar. 
  2. Chalk. I was told my deadlift max would increase by 50 pounds with chaulk. I agree it helps, though 50# might be a bit aggressive. 
  3. Remember the sign of a good deadlifter is bloody shins. That's how close you want the barbell to your legs. 
  4. Stack your shoulders over the barbell, and keep the bar on a straight path because that's where you have the most strength
  5. Push the floor down with your feet, rather than pulling the weight up. Let your glutes and legs control the barbell and your arms be more neutral

A freaking AWESOME website for help with coaching your deadlifts: Stronglifts.com
stronglifts.com


No comments:

Post a Comment