Monday, June 9, 2014

Fueling the Fire, Replenishing Muscles Post Workout

DIY protein shake!
Just recently, I was noticing the effects of my workouts to be leaving me drained & randomly irritated. This undesired effect and had me wanting to start bringing a pillow everywhere with me (both for sleeping & hitting people with). And since part of the glory of working out is that it sources energy for you (genius!) I figure I needed to evaluate my fueling habits.

Score! I nailed down the best way to refuel without sugary, store-bought, additive-laden protein shakes. Introducing my new training partner, the Do it Yourself protein shake. 


Here are the purposes for each (yummy) ingredient:

GELATIN – builds muscle, repairs connective tissue, lessens inflammation
SWEET POTATO – replenishes muscle glycogen
CINNAMON, GINGER, NUTMEG, CLOVES – powerful anti-inflammatory properties to help relieve muscle and joint pain. Cinnamon also has high levels of manganese that serves to build connective tissue. Ginger improves the absorption and assimilation of nutrients. Nutmeg and cloves treat inflammation and muscle pain.

Let this stuff be your BFF if you want to build muscle! It's also good for your skin win-win!

Paleo Protein Shake:
1 Cup Water - Try to avoid milk following a workout as it slows down nutrient absorption
1 Sweet Potato (small or half of a large one) I took the skin off
2 Tablespoons Gelatin (buy some grass fed here)
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla (optional)
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg, ginger & cloves
Maple syrup, coconut sugar or raw honey as a sweetener (only if you need)

Also! In my research, I came across some VERY important info! It is vital that you avoid fructose (fruits) after your work outs. This means avoid most fruits after you work up a sweat, as well as sugar! his is because the Human Growth Hormone is suppressed with fructose and sugar. You also do not want the insulin spike because it will halt your progress (oh hell no!) Lots of research on this for you to look up but for now, just trust me on this and nix the fruit after you exercise!




No comments:

Post a Comment